Scientific Applications Liaison - Toronto, Ontario, Canada (FUJIFILM VisualSonics, Inc.)
FUJILFILM VisualSonics, Inc. VisualSonics is a rapidly growing biomedical company and the world leader in developing high-resolution ultrasound devices for small animal research. VisualSonics offers a pleasant and progressive work environment with a competitive benefits package. We support a strong and dedicated team of individuals who are focused on continually innovating our product offering, servicing our customers, and supporting each other's efforts to sustain our competitive advantage. FUJIFILM VisualSonics Inc. is based in Toronto, Canada.
The Scientific Applications Liaison acts as the main conduit of information about new research developments, scientific activities and imaging approaches. The role involves cultivating and maintaining relationships with academic researchers and leaders, providing guidance to customers during the grant writing process, leading customer workshops and education initiatives, attending conferences and seminars, and presenting information related to the scientific applications of the product to both internal and external teams. The individual in this role will act as the scientific subject matter expert for the company in the North American market
- Scientific Subject Matter Expert
- Act as the main conduit of information about new research developments to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with academic researchers, and key opinion leaders.
- Grant Writing
- Guide customers who are applying for funding of capital imaging equipment grants through the process and help build a scientifically based justification of need for the submission.
- Search for new upcoming laboratories and imaging sites, or new scientists with new applications and encourage them to apply for grants.
- Develop grant support materials and packages to streamline the grant writing process.
- Research and stay up to date with new sources of funding and funding trends in the research community.
- Develop and lead the scientific program at workshops and customer education events as the subject matter expert on ultrasound and photoacoustic imaging techniques and scientific applications.
- Customer Education
- Lead customer education initiatives (certification programs, video, tutorials, whitepapers) that help advance the field of ultrasound and photoacoustic imaging for research and the associated scientific applications.
- Presentations and Webinars
- Deliver specialized presentations and webinars about products, applications and new developments at customer sites, conferences, workshops, over the phone or via internet.
- Ability to travel approximately 50% - 75% of working time as required.
- Product Enhancement / Development Responsibilities
- Collect and provide user feedback for product development initiatives to enhance future products and towards the development of new application-based functionality. Assist in evaluating new products where applicable and liaise with the Product Management team.
- Application and Science Development
- Work with and maintain strong ties to luminary or partner labs developing new protocols and completing new experiments.
- Commitment to developing extensive knowledge of products and applications.
- Assist with Pre-Sales Demonstrations (as needed)
- Provide pre-sales demonstrations of high-resolution ultrasound/photoacoustic equipment and related research-specific applications for prospective customers at our facilities in Toronto, at customer sites and at select luminary sites.
- Assist with Customer Training (as needed)
- Provide pre-installation and post-installation application support of ultrasound/photoacoustic equipment and related research-specific applications.
- Provide training for our customers on the use of newly acquired equipment both in our Toronto-based training facility and at customer locations (travel involved). A specific focus will be on parlaying sonographic expertise to users who are new to ultrasound as an imaging modality.
Knowledge and Experience:
- A minimum of a PhD degree in Science, in areas of specialty such as Biology, Chemistry, Molecular Medicine, Medical Biophysics, Medical Genetics or Zoology preferred.
- Excellent knowledge in small animal anatomy and physiology.
- Good knowledge in oncology, cardiology & neurobiology.
- Good knowledge of genetics & molecular biology.
- Good experience with small animal practices & techniques - Animal Care and Handling, including Anesthesia.
- Experience working within ISO 9001 quality standards is desirable.
- Experience in medical software and knowledge in imaging applications is an asset
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Strong computer skills, especially in Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel).
- Excellent business writing skills and good business sense.
- Must possess strong problem solving skills.
- Excellent priority setting and organizational skills.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Ability to handle tasks concurrently rather than sequentially.
- Ability to maintain a high level of energy and a sense of urgency.
- Ability to work independently as well as be a team player.
- Ability to adapt to constantly changing environment.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Excellent attention to detail and follow-up.
- Proven ability to mentor less experienced peers.
- Positive professional attitude; eager to learn from new and challenging opportunities.